It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:31 pm

Welcome
Welcome to masseffectd20

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Player Actions
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

Player Characters can have an active part during a battle. While the warfare mechanics assume that NPCs use the best of their abilities at all times, PCs are not only using the best of their abilities, they also have the liberty to perform special actions or tactics to increase the advantage of the army they are in.
Player Actions are only available for ground warfare. This is because in space warfare differs greatly from ground warfare. In ground warfare a character can not only move around the entire battlefield, thus affecting many of the characters involved directly, but also it is the character’s skills, rather than equipment, that are most determinant for victory.
In space warfare characters serve in ships, thus their actions only affect the ship itself. Also in space warfare, aside from tactics (which are already assumed to be the best, by the warfare mechanics), the most determinant factor for victory are the ships and their equipment. It matters little if a single character has great piloting, gunnery or tactical skills, if the ship he/she is in does not have the proper equipment it won’t be able to keep up with the character. In addition, even if one ship is able to keep with that character’s actions, the others of the fleet may not. Because of this there are no Player Actions for space warfare.

Player Actions for ground warfare stack with each other, so if multiple PCs are in an army, each of them can perform the same action greater advantage. Most of those actions are selected at the beginning of the warfare round and can change with each new round.
Regardless of his/her choice, a single PC can only perform one Player Action per battle. Some actions require him/her to decide before the battle starts whether or not he/she will want to use that action, making it impossible for the same PC to perform others later on. Others can only be used immediately after the battle, which means the PC must not have performed another Player Action during or before the battle.
Below is a list of possible actions a PC can when faced with a situation where the warfare mechanics rule apply.
Bolster Defenses: A PC can use his/her abilities and skills to improve the defensive tactics of his/her army. The character rolls a Knowledge (tactics) DC 15 check. Success means that if the group has any geographic and/or situation bonuses, it gains a +1 Sustain Damage bonus. For each additional 5 points he/she beats the DC, the bonus increases by +1. Failure by 5 or more works against the PC, removing 1 point of Sustain Damage from the group.
This action is performed during the battle itself.
Hit and Run: A PC can use perform “hit and run” tactics to harass the enemy before the real battle. The character rolls a Hide DC 15 check. Success provides a +1 First Strike to his/her army. For each additional 5 points he/she beats the DC, he/she provides an additional +1 First Strike. Failure by 5 or more works against the PCs’ army providing the enemy with +1 First Strike. This action must be performed before the battle.
Offensive Tactician: A PC can use his/her knowledge of tactics and terrain to mitigate any Geographic and/or Situation Bonus the enemy might have. The character rolls a Knowledge (tactics) DC 15 check. Success means he/she selects an enemy group to force that group with geographic and/or situation bonuses to Warfare Combat rolls to reduce that bonus by -1. For each additional 5 points he/she beats the DC, the bonus is reduced by an additional 1 or a new group might be selected. Failure by 5 or more works in an opposite way becoming, increasing that group’s geographic and/or situation bonuses to Warfare Combat rolls by +1. This action is performed during the battle itself.
Bolster Morale: A PC can attempt to bolster the morale of the army he/she serves in before any battle starts. To do so he/she makes a Pre-Battle Rally check (see Morale rules). The PC selects a number of groups equal to its Charisma score (score, not modifier). If the PC succeeds in making them Heartened, the army’s Power Score reduces by 1 point (so a Power Score of 18 becomes 17, etc). This action is performed before the battle.
Lead by Example: A PC can attempt to increase his/her army’s effectiveness by “leading by example”, such as charging the enemy or being in the front line. To do so, the character rolls a Character Level check DC 15. Success provides a number of groups of the PC’s army, equal to the PC’s Charisma score (score, not modifier), with one reroll for a single Warfare Combat roll. Once this reroll is used, it cannot be used again for the remaining of the battle (not merely the warfare round). For each additional 5 points he/she beats the DC, either those groups gain one additional reroll or a new number of groups equal to the PC’s Charisma score gain the same benefit. Failure by 5 or more works in an opposite way providing one reroll for the enemy army. This action is performed during the battle itself.
Battle Control: A PC can use his/her skills to increase the overall effectiveness of his/her army. The PC selects a number of groups equal to its Charisma score (score, not modifier) and rolls a Knowledge (tactic) DC 15 check. Success reduces those groups’ Power Score by 1 (so a Power Score of 18 becomes 17, etc). For each additional 5 points he/she beats the DC, the Power Score is reduced by another 1. Failure by 4 or less increases those groups’ Power Score by +1. Failure by 5 or more increases by 2 instead. This action is performed before the battle.
Battlefield Medic: A PC can attempt to heal his/her army faster after a battle. The character rolls a Medicine check DC 15. Success means a number of groups of the PC’s army, equal to PC’s Intelligence score (score, not modifier), heals twice as fast. This action is performed after the battle itself.
Shield Allies: A PC can attempt to use his/her skills to ensure his/her allies survive the battle. The PC selects a number of groups equal to its Intelligence score (score, not modifier) and rolls a First Aid DC 15 check. Success provides those groups with +1 Sustain Damage. For each additional 10 points the PC beats the DC, the bonus increases by +1. Failure by 5 or more indicates the PC utterly fails at this task reducing those group’s Sustain Damage by -1. This action is performed during the battle itself.
Coordinate Retreat: If the battle is lost, a PC can attempt to coordinate the retreat of his/her army to save as much allies as possible. The PC selects a number of groups equal to its Wisdom score (score, not modifier) and rolls a Knowledge (tactics) DC 15 check. Success allows those groups to negate one Hit they might have taken (this can prevent them from being destroyed). For each additional 5 points the PC beats the DC, the PC can select a one additional group. This action is performed after the battle itself.
Assault Tactics: A PC can opt to use more aggressive tactics during the battle. The PC selects a number of groups equal to its Intelligence score (score, not modifier) and rolls a Knowledge (tactics) DC 15. Success provides those groups with a +1 bonus on the Warfare Combat rolls. For each additional 5 points he/she beats the DC, the bonus increases by +1. This action is performed during the battle itself and also reduces the Sustain Damage statistics of those groups by 1.
Anti-Armored Tactics: A PC can attempt to use his/her skills to make his/her army more effective against vehicles and/or ships. The selects a number of groups equal to its Intelligence score (score, not modifier) and rolls a Heavy Weapons DC 15 check. Success allows those groups to specific target a vehicle/ship group for that warfare round with a +1 bonus on the Warfare Combat roll. For each additional 5 points he/she beats the DC, the bonus increases by +1. This action is performed during the battle itself.

Post subject: Re: Player Actions
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:20 pm 

My main question is how many actions does a player get. In standard you would have a move action/standard action/move Action. then in 4th edition they added a Free action. Kind of confused on this section if at all possible be able to get this explained a little more.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

"Regardless of his/her choice, a single PC can only perform one Player Action per battle." ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:38 pm 

Okay,

So I see the concepts of warfare that you have implemented. I understand them and think that I could put together a mock warfare combat if I ever needed to.

But my issue is why Space warfare is even included in the book, if there is literally nothing that an "adventuring group" of PC's can do when in Space warfare. And since PC's have no actions to take during Space Warfare, what reason would a DM have to put them into one?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

That's because players may have access to spaceships and battle with them. My players, for example, had a small frigate they and a shuttle they used a couple of times in space combat.
And depending on the story you may be running, there could be combat the players don't want to see 'decided by the GM' but rather see it play by the mechanics

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:51 pm 

So, that implies to me that you are saying that a DM/ group can choose which way they would like to handle situations, whether it be by the Space Warfare rules or using the Space Combat rules (just with a large amount of combatants).

Correct?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:58 am 
Site Admin

The party? No, must follow the rules. The GM, however, is the 'god' of the game so he can ignore the rules and simply make decisions. It's his/her story afterall, so if he/she really wants a side to win, that will happen regardless of whether the rules allowed for such

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:29 pm 

okay,

I didn't really mean that the "Player Party" would decide, but I was talking about the Role Playing Group as a whole (DM included).

So, what I'm really trying to figure out is a how to go about a Space battle my group has coming up. Its going to be a single battle, so units won't be able to recover like in the Warfare section. But It is going to have a large quantity of ships involved, with a large variety of ships. So the DM and I are trying to figure how the actual battle will go.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:58 am 
Site Admin

Follow the space warfare rules and let the dice decide, I'd say. And if your party is on the losing side, do things like retreat :P